Volunteering at School
The Ministry of Justice has introduced new regulations requiring ANY volunteer who comes near or works around children to complete a criminal record check, regardless of the time spent working near or around them. This new requirement involves a Criminal Record Search, valid for 5 years, which will include a Vulnerable Sector Search. You must have criminal record check clearance in order to volunteer.
This process is to ensure the safety of our students at all times regardless of a position or purpose. This means that all volunteers must obtain the same CRC clearance as employees. If you are planning to volunteer on a field trip, in a classroom, in the library, handing out hot lunch, to read, or to help in any way you will require a criminal record check completed. These will be valid for 5 years. If you have a CRC done already your organization can share it with the Abbotsford School District through the government process but you still must go to the School Board office with your identification. Volunteer CRC applications are done at no cost.
- Fill out a Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check form.
- Fill in the Volunteer Application and the Letter of Confidentiality and send them back to the school. We will keep a copy for our records. Fill-in forms are below. There is also more information on the District Website.
- Visit the Abbotsford School District Office at 2790 Tims St. Come with your Criminal Record Check Form and 2 pieces of ID (see list below). More FAQ here
- Contact the Swift office (604-853-7730) to let us know that you have submitted your form as we are required to keep track of this information.
- Once you are cleared, a Volunteer Application and Letter of Confidentiality are required on an annual basis, held by the school office.
If you have any questions, please contact the office.
What if I have completed a Criminal Record Check with another Agency?
The Abbotsford School District is enrolled with the CRRP (Criminal Records Review Program). Other organizations which are also enrolled with CRRP are able to ‘share’ a CRC with the Abbotsford School District. The CRC must be within the past five (5) years and must have the same clearance to work with the same population, i.e., children and vulnerable adults. Please note the CRRP only shares CRC’s not PIC’s.
How will I know I am cleared?
Please contact the school and we can tell you if your application is Approved or still Pending.